Tuesday, July 29, 2008

List...

And why, you may ask, am I up at 3:10 a.m.? Not only was I brewing up a nice migraine so I couldn't sleep, I went to a job interview today. As I always arrive to job interviews half an hour early, I grabbed a book to entertain myself while waiting in the parking lot. Then after dinner, I picked it back up and read from page 21 to the end.

It's the best thing I've read in a long time. It's called The Next Thing On My List, by Jill Smolinski. The basic premise is this: girl is driving an acquaintance home and the acquaintance is killed in the car accident they experience. Survivor girl discovers (and keeps) the list of 20 things the dead girl wanted to do before her 25th birthday, and after six months of slothlike reality-TV-watching guilt, she is compelled to finish the list for the dead girl. The snowball of life changes for her are easy to spot coming, but so enjoyable and heart-warming that I literally read to the end without stopping. Thus 3:00 a.m.

The book has experienced a following, and Wendy Finerman (think The Devil Wears Prada) has bought the film rights. I sooooo can't wait for that movie. Hope they get someone good to play the lead, though. Not that annoying chick from Grey's Anatomy- she's completely overexposed. And not some ridiculously skinny chick, either, since they meet initially at a Weight Watcher's meeting... maybe Anne Hathaway... Kate Winslet... wow, the choices of normal sized women in Hollywood is pretty short, huh?

But I digress. You must read this book, especially now that bar hell is done. No excuses. I'm now working on my list... this is the rough draft.

Things to do before I turn 35 (next May 27)

#1. pass stupid bar exam
#2. have garage sale
#3. learn to cook fabulous ribs
#4. lose 30 pounds
#5. compete in a cooking contest
#6. learn to play guitar
#7. get a great haircut
#8. change someone's life
#9. bake bread from scratch
#10. master every sauce in James Peterson's Sauces

By 40:

#1. become a certified master gardener
#2. visit Italy
#3. write a book
#4. create a piece of art
#5. win a cooking contest
#6. celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary
#7. celebrate my daughter's 10th birthday
#8. own a pair of shoes that cost more than $100
#9. buy a new house
#10. have at least one employee

Yeah, some of those are a stretch, but I figure you gotta reach or you'll never try.

Speaking of which, hope ya'll are reaching for the brass ring this week. Hope my list will inspire you to create your own, which you can get started on Friday... after the hangover wears off.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I believe we need to be cyber study-buddies for Feb 09. Every time I check in on your blog, the more I find I can relate to, not just sitting out this bar administration.

Although I don't have kids yet (unless you count my husband), I, too, will turn 35 next year (April), I have secretly watched/enjoyed One Tree Hill, and James Peterson is the uncle of my long-time friend/officiant of my wedding.

Good luck with the job. Hope the person leaves!

WC law mom said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I'd love to meet him... and I'm working my way through his book, albeit slowly... He's fabulous. I got to meet Giada De Laurentiis and get my book signed. You'd have thought I was my daughter meeting Hannah Montana, I was so enthralled. Same with Jacques Pepin.