Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Weekend...

So in my effort to avoid thinking about the big day on Friday, I suggested we take the kids somewhere last Saturday. And by somewhere, I did not mean the hardware store to get replacement sprinkler heads, or Target to buy supplies for the week. By noon on Saturday, we finally got down to two choices, the Aquarium or the Exploratorium. The kids picked the Exploratorium.

Not exactly what I would have chosen, but they sure did have fun. All three of them, the 40 year old, the 7 year old, and the 5 year old. I must confess, science stuff just bores me to tears. Yeah, the sand always drips through those little holes the same way. Fascinating. It's just sand. Can we move on after looking at the sand for 25 minutes?

I think the aversion to science stems from my first year in college, when I took physics and worked and worked and had my engineer brother tutor me and I still got a C+. It was demoralizing and I hated it. Since then, I figure, I suck at it, so why waste my time?

However, I do not wish to pass on my fears and phobias to my kids. Kind of like when I get a paper towel and squish the spider in their room and act like it's no big deal when really I want to close the door to their room and wait until daddy gets home and make him do it rather than risk touching the spider, who scares me to death.


So, we went. Kids had a blast. Hubby got to eat a bunch of junk at the snack bar. Then mommy got to avoid having to cook dinner because we went to an actual restaurant. Ah, the bliss of someone bringing you things you ask for.

So, to commemorate our day at the Exploratorium, hubby took this fabulous picture of little J at the bike wheel exhibit, where he got stuck for 25 minutes watching the wheels turn and turn and turn... come to think of it, designing with sand wasn't so bad....



No comments: