Monday, May 12, 2008

bar sadists

I've decided how I'm dealing with bar results. I'm not. I'm sure I will look as soon as 6:00 rolls around, but I refuse, REFUSE, to let the February 2008 California Bar Exam rule my life anymore. So, I have invited people over and I'm going to busy myself cooking dinner and then playing poker for the evening after dinner.

I figure, if I do pass, then I'll want to party it up, and what better way than by playing some Texas hold 'em? And, if the news is bad, do I really want to sit around and wallow all night like I did in November? At least I can console myself with taking some chips off my friends and mouthing off about what junk they are playing. And, either way, I'll be enjoying some of our nicest wine that we have been saving, so I know there will be a reward no matter what the bar sadists tell me.

Reminds me of Heidi's drama in college. Yeah, I did speech and debate in college, but I was never as good as this girl. She always had fabuluous pieces, but her drama my senior year was my absolute favorite. It was called "10 things about Ed.... somebody." After the narrator's husband dies, she starts getting calls and threats from somebody saying her husband owed money and she had to pay it by a certain day and time. She finally decides not to continue to worry about this problem. Instead, she gets her cigarettes and her drink lined up and sits in her favorite chair when the specified time is near and figures, "let them come!"

Well, of course it turns out the husband actually fixed it all perfectly for her, and instead of the knee-busting money grubber, she instead is delivered a list of the reasons her husband loves and cherishes her, and how he actually fixed it so she is taken care of after he is gone.

I'm completely botching one of the best ten minutes I've ever seen at AFA Nationals, but suffice to say, Heidi's bravado in delivering that line sums up how I feel. Fear masked by studied indifference. Nothing I can do about it anyway, so why not keep busy with real life in the meantime. At 6:02, life will go on whether I see the right sentence on that screen or not, so why not enjoy it. I spent four years of law school not doing the things I wanted to do because I was studying on Friday and Saturday nights after I got the kids in bed. Now that law school is over, I can actually have fun with friends on a Friday night. Why waste one?

So, let them come! Do your worst, bar sadists. I almost dare you.

No comments: