Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Achievement...

"My Mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that 'achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others, and that's nice, too, but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.'"

Helen Hayes (1900-1993)

I think this sums up how I feel about February's bar exam. I know that I studied and worked hard and did the best that was in me. The randomness of the grading system is beyond my control.

In case you don't know who Helen Hayes is, she was an incredibly successful actress who followed in her mother's creative footsteps, also an actress. She is the only actress to ever win every major entertainment award, emmy, oscar, tony, and grammy. She also started a wildflower foundation for nature preservation with Lady Bird Johnson. She lost a child to polio, and died at the ripe old age of 93.

So, I'm aiming for achievement, and forgetting about the rest.

My list of potential actual achievements:
Little J refraining from using her clothes as a napkin.
Big J refraining from crying in frustration and practicing 'our' motto "Try, Don't Cry."
Getting through fitness boot camp next month with my friend, L.
Not gaining any weight during the third round of the Bar.
Actually (gasp) losing weight this summer.
Learning to relax.
Spending time with friends that I have ignored during the law school years.
Learning to read for pleasure again.
Getting my garden back in shape so I actually want to go out there.

No comments: