Wednesday, August 20, 2008

UG...

Okay... shopping for jobs may still be my hobby because Uptight Girl is such a bitch.
Remember the case she dumped on me because the attorney said something to me about it? Well, I get back from lunch to a barrage of words from Uptight Girl.


We served a trial subpoena w/ docs on the county inspector for that case. Some lady called while I was at lunch and asked which documents we wanted. So instead of sending her to my voicemail or taking a message, Uptight Girl decides to check into it and draft a letter to the county lady. So, instead of saying, hey, some lady called and I asked Josh and took care of it, she starts telling me this long drawn out story about how this woman called, etc. So, I said three words, and she cuts me off with, "well, I'm about to tell you what's going on."

Excuse the fuck out of me. It sounds like you're asking me a question. Fucking bitch.

Then she says that she had to fix the case management statement that went out today because it was "sooo bad." Turns out her idea of "soo bad" was that I didn't put the same b.s. verbiage that she likes to use. Okay, no problem. You could just say, this is what we usually do. Not the same as I've been taught, but whatever.

She also goes on and on and on about how nobody knows how to do a proper verification, because they do pleading oaths and that's not a good verification. I will be damned if I can find anywhere where a verification on discovery needs to be anything specific. Even pleadings in California are not required to be sworn on information and belief. Seems to me the verifications that say information and belief in addition to under penalty of perjury are perfectly fine. Not that that has anything to do with this event, but it annoys me that she's so misinformed and is so righteous about it.


Then she says that she checks this one box on the CMC statement and then fills in the reason. I pointed out that it didn't make sense to check the box and also fill in the reason why you didn't do that, since it clearly indicated you should check if you did it and then not check and explain why you didn't. She says, "well, same thing." Um, you're the one complaining about small verbiage points. What you typically do here makes no sense whatsoever. But, of course, when I point that out, it's not important. When she wants to point something out, it's super important. Uh huh, I get it.

Then she says, to my face, that she now wants to call the lady who's now gone and tell her what just happened and how this stuff has been screwed up. Um, fuck you?
Yup. Fuck you.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow. This woman's behavior represents why I don't want to be called a paralegal. I've encountered MANY a paralegal who think they are the authority on the most non-important matters and they know everything. I cringe to admit this, but when I was a paralegal before law school, I exhibited some of the same behavior (bleh!).

Law school taught me (a) that, in fact, I don't know squat about squat most of the time, and (b) about the "bigger picture" when actually practicing law.

Working as a law clerk/paralegal/whatever you are if you haven't passed the bar has taught me (a) every attorney does crap differently and, when in doubt, copies their buddy (or the other side!) and (b) a lot of those boxes on the CMC statement can be ignored unless you are trying to flag something to the judge (e.g. - PLEASE send us to mediation b/c these assholes have no case/defense).

It's odd she wants to be called a law clerk, that doesn't really signify any loftier role. You could just be a filing, copying and calendaring wench with that title. I just call myself a law clerk when forced to title myself so I can feel like I've moved on in my life since before the J.D.

WC law mom said...

Oh, it's soooo true that every attorney does things differently. I have worked for five and they all do stuff differently. She came from a different state and has struggled with the CA bar, so I imagine some of it is that personal struggle. It's hard because I really think she's a nice person, but she just gets spun out at certain times, which rubs me the wrong way. It makes me uncomfortable to complain constantly, as she is in the habit of doing. I like my job. Even if I had passed the bar on the first try, I'd still like my job quite a bit. I guess that makes me too complacent, but I like writing motions and the daily things of practice. I don't feel like I've been robbed, except of the badge of having COMPLETELY completed law school. I'd like to know I was done with that chapter of my life, but other than, that, this is what I worked hard to be able to do. At my last job, I was perfectly happy to call myself paralegal, legal secretary... whatever induced the other paralegal to befriend me on the phone and tell me all about her boss.... I know I have a law degree, what do I care what other people think? Plus my bosses have typically teated me with colleague respect, so that helped a LOT.