Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wreck...

Had to attend an IME with a client today...

Now I'm a train wreck of frayed nerves. Doctor yelled at me during several of the 57 or so times I objected to his questions. Told client to strip, and client started to do so, right in front of me/us.

Hold the phone! Don't need to be seeing your skivvies.... Perhaps we could step out for a minute and give my client time to change... And he refused. What kind of doctor will not give you a chance to change? He pulled the man card, too.

"Well, maybe you'd be more comfortable stepping out since you're a woman. We're both men, so I don't need to give him privacy." I stared him down and he said, "well, if it will make you more comfortable..."

Why, yes, yes that would make me more comfortable, since I'm not about to leave you alone with my client.

Asshat.

But, it made me so nervous, which I didn't notice at the time, that after we got back to the office and the client left on his bike (he's an old homeless guy, for crying out loud- why you be pickin' on him?) my nerves were just shot. I realized how much I like my office, with it's insulating walls and no one there in person being confrontational. In writing or on the phone is one thing. Face to face, when my client is stripping his clothes off? Different story.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Confrontational Asshats need to be put in their place. Seriously, head over to OfficialManCard.com and revoke his Man Card. And While your there, order your own. The look on his face when you pull out your Authentic Man Card will be priceless.

Anonymous said...

I thought you hadn't passed the bar yet. ARe you allowed to object? Is that practicing law without a license?

WC law mom said...

My understanding is that the attorney NEVER goes with a client to the IME. And even though I said "object", I didn't mean it in the deposition sense, like I was putting it on the record or anything. I was saying, "Look, he's not going to answer questions like that because that's information equally available to defense counsel." And then the client didn't answer those questions. And the statute is pretty clear that the examinee can have a representative with them at the IME, who may record the proceedings, not that an attorney will represent them at an IME. So, as far as I know, not practicing, since it's not an appearance or signing pleadings, and any person can go with the examinee to such an examination, not just attorneys.