Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Revisiting Blogging

Hello all-

Haven't posted in a long long time and it just occured to me to actually check and see if anyone has commented in the last year. Some have, so I may just start blogging again.

Let's see- what's new with me? Well, I've been busy. I have a solo practice that keeps me super busy. Kids are older, and thus keep me super busy. Marriage is good. In general, things are really, really good.

Facebook has really impeded my time and desire to blog, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to switch things up and get back into regular blogging.

I'll try to think if fun and interesting things to say about the actual practice of law- which is so far removed from the practice of passing the bar, it's not even funny. I still cringe slightly when the end of July and the end of February come around. Last July I ran to the grocery store to buy some snacks for a social get together at my house and ran into someone I knew in high school who told me she was studying for the bar and was taking it in two weeks. I backed away pretty quick- I just couldn't help it. The anxiety immediately started creeping back and it was all I could do to be polite and say good luck. I left the store shuddering with relief that I was done with that part of my life.

But, although it sounds patronizing, I can now say the same thing everyone else says, which is that taking the bar is just a phase. You get through it and once it's over, it's really over and you don't have to think about it anymore. And I honestly don't think having to take it more than once makes on whit of difference in what caliber of attorney you will be. In fact, it might even make you a better attorney to have failed it at least once. It definitely gives you some humility, and makes you grateful for the license.

So, I'll try to focus on funny and interesting things that happen with my practice. I do bankruptcy and foreclosure defense, so most everyone has a sad story, and I can say that I feel okay about what I do for my clients. Not only that- most of them are sad to have to meet me, but later on they are glad that they did. I don't know if all attorneys can actually say that of their clients.

No comments: